5 years ago I made the switch from my regular antiperspirant to a deodorant and I must say it was the hardest natural product for me to find and love. I kept jumping from one to the other before even finishing a whole bottle or crystal, or cream… I tried them all. Some made me super sweaty, some smelled too strong, and some didn’t control the smell at all.
To make it really simple for those of you who don’t know: Antiperspirants contain aluminum salts. Deodorants do not. In this post I will tell you why I decided to make the transition and will share my favorite 2 with you.
These are the main reasons I switch to a natural deodorant:
- Aluminum is a skin irritant.
- Antiperspirants containing aluminum, stop perspiration from occurring. Deodorants allow perspiration, they work by killing the odor causing bacteria when we perspire. From a natural point of view, I really believe it made complete sense for me to change to deodorants, as it’s not stopping my body from going through its natural sweating process.
- Unlike vitamins and minerals, the body does not need aluminum. It accumulates in the kidneys, brain, lungs, liver and thyroid where it competes with calcium for absorption and can also affect skeletal mineralization.
- Aluminum is the most distributed metal on the planet and is present in countless products we use every day: cookware, soda cans, aluminum foil, vaccines and so forth. This means we are in constant risk of exposure.
- There are also the so-called Parabens and Phthalates: These are not inert substances, they have biological activity. In animal studies (which I utterly disagree with), for instance, some phthalates act to counter male hormones and disrupt development of male sex organs. Both phthalates and parabens act on estrogen pathways, which in humans have been associated with such varied effects as decreased sperm count, endometriosis and insulin resistance.
Let’s remember these preservatives are found in an enormous amount of skin products and anything absorbed through the skin has 10 times the concentration an oral dose contains.
So here it goes, these are my 2 favorite brands:
My struggle to find a good deodorant ended they day I found Simple Divine Botanicals, a company from Las Vegas, NV, last year at Co Opportunity in Santa Monica, CA. (You will find this name very often in my blog, I work one block away from the Co-opp and find myself going there at least 4 times a week : ) I love this place so much, I can find everything there!)
This deodorant has become an essential in my home! It is made of crystalized mineral salts, organic whole-leaf aloe vera, angstrom silver, zinc, essentials oils and it’s completely unscented, which I love.
It comes in liquid form on a spray bottle which makes it easy to distribute. However, the reality is it will run down your body and you will have to wait until it dries. But, I found the way to solve that problem and save me the extra 5 minutes in the mornings: A BLOW DRYER!! I spray the deodorant, turn my blow dryer on cold for 30 seconds on each side and I’m ready to go! I don’t know why it took me so long to think of this!
Here I am again with HONEST, I told you I am a little obsessed with them..
I tried their deodorant for the first time a couple of months ago for research purposes and really really liked it! Even though it’s made of some powerful essential oils (bergamot, sage, lemon, mandarin, lavender) the smell isn’t overpowering.
It comes in two other scents: Lavender Vanilla and Vetiver. Both are unisex, long-lasting and hypoallergenic. And like all HONEST products these are also certified organic, 100% natural and non-toxic.
You can buy both of these products online or you can also try to find them in your local natural store.